Friday, February 6, 2009

Empanada, Empanada, Empanada....Oi,Oi,Oi!


Recently I've developed a taste for Empanadas (see photo). I've always wanted to try them, having seen them advertised outside of trendy young-people's bars in London, Munich and Rome. They've always struck me as the sort of thing that young, fun, cosmo, hip people eat. I just never got around to trying them before.

That was until last week when a new cafe opened down the road and posted me a flyer saying '12 Empanadas-25 pesos'. I was straight there, and brought them home to Daniela. We loved them. For those of you who are untrendy (like I was, until I started eating empanadas that is) they are made of different types of pastry, flakey or shortcrust, and can contain any number of fillings, such as corn and veg, ham and cheese, or my favourite which is a type of bolognese sauce. The pastry is crimped to close the empanada and it's served hot. They're small, so even slimmers can enjoy one or two. As for me, well, I ate eight of them. Lovely.

But hang on a minute. Those of you from the south-west of England might just recognise my description of the empanada. Can you think of another, much less trendy food, that resembles it closely?

Yes, the Cornish miners' favourite..... the humble, un-cosmo and far from trendy Pasty!! They're identical. I want you all to go to your nearest trendy bar where youngsters are drinking sangria and eating empanadas and tell them, no, shout to them "They're just little pasties!!!"

My free online encylopedia says that empanadas were intruduced to South America by immigrants from Galicia in north-west Spain, who in turn had got the dish from the Arabs during their invasion of Iberia in the middle-ages. However, ladies and gentlemen, I think my amazing new findings call this conventional wisdom into doubt.

Yes, I believe I have proof that years before the voyage of Colombus, the Cornish discovered Argentina. It was they who introduced the pasty, that then had its name changed to an empanada by the Spaniards. It was the Cornish who introduced rugby to the Argentinians and taught them to loathe the English with a passion and blame them for all of their own problems!

So there you go, who said that this blog wasn't educational? I'm off for a good old Cornish pasty pasty...sorry, trendy empanada.

Editor: I'd like to apologise for the poor level of this entry. Unfortunately it was typed and entered without my knowledge or consent. I prefer much more serious articles, and I'd like to reasure you all that the normal high level of sociological, politically informed writing and photography will return with the next entry. The writer of the above entry has been given a severe talking to and has accepted full responsibility for the stupidity of the article. Once again, sorry and it won't happen again.

No comments: